Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Brown Barbie™

 Hello all, 


My name is Awa Badiane. I am 21 years old and am originally from New York City. Although, I was born and raised in Harlem to be exact, my parents both immigrated to the U.S. from Senegal in the mid 90’s. My Senegalese background in conjunction to growing up in Harlem has had great influence on my upbringing and the way I view the world. As a black, Muslim women, who is the child of two immigrants, that grew up in the United States, I have the developed lenses to understand how beautiful these identities are and the challenges that they come with the from outside sources. 



As an artist I believe it is my duty to share my lenses as a means of improving the lived experience of folks that also fall into these identities. I do this by educating those who do not have the same lenses to understand our experience as a way of to reducing the harm inflicted onto us.  As an artist I want to educate whilst, uplifting the experiences and adding pride to the identities I am expressing, similarly to artist such as rapper Noname, and singer Solange. 







“The living room has become a voting booth” Marshall McLuhan. As history has shown us real change happens when enough people are angry enough to do something about the injustices they are experiencing and a lot of these angry is expressed through art. I want be part of the spark to real change and sense of empowerment everywhere, especially for those with lenses I share












1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you found your quote inspirational as when I first read it I didn't see it that way. I saw it as how in our current society so many people can become misinformed based on the media they consume without even leaving their couch. I can't wait to see your art!

    ReplyDelete

Blue

 https://youtu.be/vb8v2Ivh1ek